Brecken has been showing lots of signs that he may have allergies (surprise, surprise, since both of his parents have terrible allergies), so we've been thinking about taking him into the doctor to see what she thought. Well Wednesday morning, he woke up with a red rash all over his face, neck, and upper back. I checked online, and she had an 8:00 appointment available for that day so we decided to take him in "just to find out if he had allergies and what was up with his rash." Well...he had ANOTHER ear infection with pretty much no symptoms! The kid has been sleeping fine, eating like a little piglet, acting perfectly happy, and once again did not run a temp. Now, don't get me wrong... I LOVE that he is an easy-going kid and still so happy when he is sick. However, it would be nice to have a little indication that he has an infection! (Otherwise we feel like we practically have to take him in for every little sniffle since every time he is congested, he has an ear infection) Plus, the doctor looked at his tonsils and said he could likely have strep throat too. I was like...oh, great...I didn't request a sub for today because I thought I was just taking him in for a quick check of his allergies. (My students have Phy Ed/Music first thing in the morning, so I just took a little sick time and said "no sub needed") When I heard that he might have strep, I paniced because it was too late in the morning to request a full day sub w/o our secretary making tons of phone calls, and DJ's work day was filled with appointments so he wasn't going to be able to come home either. Not to mention that I didn't have any sub plans ready...let's face it, this time of year I barely know what I am doing, let alone telling a sub what to do! Plus, if Brecken had strep, I shouldn't be bringing him into a school full of kids so that I could get my sub plans ready. Well, fortunately, the strep test came back negative, so I was saved! I really didn't want to miss Wednesday because I knew today I was going to be gone at a District Math Curriculum Review meeting all day, and it was tough enough to get those sub plans ready.
The dr. put him on a stronger anti-biotic this time since he was just treated for an ear infection about three weeks ago. We DO know that the infection was gone in between because we took him back in when he was still showing some symptoms after a few days on that round of meds. She isn't really worried about the multiple ear infections because she thinks this one is probably due to the congestion from the allergies. She recommendied trying Benadryl, and if that seemed to help, we should get some OTC Zyrtec to help with his allergies. Well...we have tried both, but his rash, congestion, and puffy eyes, have all gotten WORSE so there very well may be another dr. visit/phone call coming up soon!
Well enough rambling, have a great weekend!